How do I resolve missing orders/packages for my customers?
If a buyer claims they haven’t received an order they made through TCGplayer, sellers are responsible for resolving disputes according to our policies and how you shipped the order.
Shipped Without Tracking or Confirmation
If you ship an order without tracking information or delivery confirmation and a buyer claims the package has not been received, you’ll be liable if the order does not arrive by the maximum Estimated Delivery Date for domestic shipments. For First-Class Mail, the maximum Estimated Delivery Date is eight business days after the order is placed.
Shipped with Tracking or Confirmation and Has an “En Route” Status
If your buyer doesn’t receive their package by the end of the expected delivery date quoted on TCGplayer—6–8 business days for Standard Domestic Shipping or 3–4 business days for Expedited Domestic Shipping—you should submit a case with the USPS either via their Online Form or by calling 1-800-ASK-USPS (1-800-275-8777). Contact our team or escalate the message thread from the order in question for additional assistance.
Shipped with Tracking or Confirmation and Reporting Shows Delivery and Buyer Claims Item Not Received
We fully cover our sellers in the event of a discrepancy between buyer and USPS claims—for example, if a buyer claims they didn’t receive a domestic order, but the USPS reports the order as Delivered.
If this happens, follow these steps:
- Contact the USPS and submit a case either via their Online Form or by calling 1-800-ASK-USPS (1-800-275-8777).
- Save the case number that the USPS gives you.
- We suggest contacting the buyer and giving them the case number information from the USPS so they’re aware you’re doing your best to locate the missing package.
- In general, the USPS should contact you within 48 hours with an update. (From our experience utilizing the online tool, entering an email address as the method of contact has the best results—if you provide a phone number, they will call you, but this call may arrive outside traditional business hours.)
- If the tracking status updates or the USPS successfully locates and delivers the package, the problem has officially been resolved. Congrats! Please inform the buyer and/or TCGplayer as needed.
- If the tracking status doesn’t update, you don’t receive a reply from the USPS in 48 hours or they say the package cannot be located, refund the buyer in full and continue through the next steps for reimbursement.
- Tell the buyer to let you know if the order eventually arrives:
- If they wish to keep the cards, they should inform you and arrange payment through TCGplayer (we’ll credit you, the seller).
- If the buyer no longer wants the cards, they should not open the package. Instead, advise them to write "Return to Sender" on the front and return it to their mail carrier. They should also contact you to let you know the package arrived and is being returned.
- Email your case number to email@example.com with the subject line: "Missing Delivered Package Case Number," as well as your TCGplayer order number for reference.
- Once our customer service team receives the case number, we’ll credit your store for the missing package and follow up with the buyer to see if they’ve had trouble receiving other orders.
- As previously stated, if the package is reported as successfully delivered to the customer at a later date and they contact you asking to pay for the wayward order, direct them to contact our team and we’ll organize a PayPal payment for the package.
Shipped with Signature Confirmation Tracking and Tracking Shows Delivery and Buyer Claims Item Not Received
Contact our team and we’ll investigate the claim. If the name on the signature confirmation matches the buyer’s, we’ll work with them to determine if the package was delivered to the correct address. If signature confirmation does not match the buyer’s, please follow the steps above for opening a missing package claim, and provide us with the case number. If the package can’t be located, we’ll issue the buyer a refund and credit you for the sale as the USPS may have delivered the package to the wrong individual or location. Disputes for packages that are signed for by a freight forwarder or an agent of the buyer (e.g. receptionist, family member) will be denied. If our investigation determines that the customer did not receive the order due to a shipping error beyond his or her control, the seller may still be held liable. Note, however, that this is an extremely rare occurrence.
How You Can Reduce the Risk of a TCGplayer Dispute as a Seller
There are some simple ways to mitigate the risk of a dispute for an item not received:
- Ship promptly (within 48 hours of receipt) and use a shipping method that ensures reliable delivery before the end of the Maximum Delivery Date period.
- Ship with tracking information when appropriate, and add it to the order.
- Follow the TCGplayer Shipping Guidelines.
- For orders over $20 in value, we recommend that you ship with Delivery Confirmation or Tracking for your own protection.
- For orders of $50 or more, you must include Tracking/Delivery Confirmation.
- For orders of $250 or more, you must include Tracking/Delivery Confirmation and Signature Required (inform the buyer so they are prepared to sign for the delivery). You may also want to consider protecting yourself by purchasing insurance. Please read all of the Shipping Guidelines for Cards to make sure you're familiar with the expectations for sellers on TCGplayer.
If you decide not to follow the above recommendations, this can affect your ability to win any disputes claiming a package did not arrive.
For more information, review the Risk of Loss section in the Marketplace Seller Agreement.